Friday, March 28, 2008

Mid-Century Suburbs, Part 2 - Oh, those fantastic doors!

I've been temporary debilitated by an eye problem; while I'm recovering, let me dig into the archives for some material I never got around to posting. First up: the long-ago threatened promised follow-up to my first post on Chicago's inner-ring, Mid-Century Modern suburban buildings.

Mid-Century door

The 1950s and 1960s loved their geometry. Even the most ardent Mid-Century Mod hater must surely concede the awesomeness of the fantastic designs built into the doors of these otherwise common inner-suburban Chicago apartment buildings.

Mid-Century door

Mid-Century door

Mid-Century door

Mid-Century door

Mid-Century door

The builder vernacular in Chicago even had its own custom storm door style, shown here in shiny mirror-polished stainless steel, with two narrow side panels and a large central panel.

Mid-Century door

Variations would typically include geometric patterns on the narrow panels, or different shades of colored, textured plastic.

South suburb screen door

1 comment:

Jacob said...

Those are great. I gotta go photograph some awesome MCM doors I recently noticed down in Evergreen Park. They're unabashedly googie.