Sunday, March 9, 2008

Tasemkin Furniture

South Ashland is a target-rich environment for the wandering urban photographer. I am looking forward to spending some time there as the weather warms up. For now, here's a fast shot of a real shocker, a sign that basically is the entire facade of a building:

American General Furniture...?

Oh, to have seen this fully lit up at night! The heart bleeds. The store is long closed, and the building is for sale -- an ill omen for the remnants of that magnificent sign.

Edit: I got the name and the location of this place wrong. They're both corrected now.

4 comments:

Jacob said...

Actually, thats on South Ashland near 47th. Check http://www.flickr.com/photos/chicagoeye/452554537/ for a lit up look.

Robert Powers said...

Yeah, I seem to have gotten the two streets confused in general, as I learned when I headed back down there again today. Whoops!

Michael R. Allen said...

Reminds me of that now-demolished place in Hammond shown in Unexpected Chicagoland.

delk said...

wow

I grew up on 48th and Laflin (two blocks east of Ashland) 1962-1980

Across the street just west of Ashland was Peoples Theater. I saw the Planet of the Apes movies there!