Sunday, July 17, 2011

A lesson in etiquette

This is completely off-topic and meta, and I know I shouldn't let this topic bother me so much, so I'll keep it short.

I write this blog for free, for fun, in my spare time, entirely on my own - photographs, research, writing, everything. I try to gather as much info as I can before posting, but I have my limits. If I waited till I'd done an NRHP-level research document, there wouldn't be anything here.

So I get kinda pissed off when a poster who is otherwise giving useful information feels the need to append snotty comments like these:

  • "Please do your research before posting."

  • "Three minutes of research would tell you that..."


  • This is called "being a jerk", and it's rude and unnecessary. For me, it obliterates the pleasure of finding out more about a building, and it rather spoils things for the vast majority of commenters who are playing nice.

    Also - it's very easy to find information about something when you already know all about it. Try starting cold sometime, like with nothing but a street address or even less. You'll find it's a lot tougher.

    So, in summary, don't be a jerk - to me, to other people online, to other people in real life.

    Sorry for the diatribe - back on topic now. Wait'll you see these cool Art Deco churches I've got coming up!

    8 comments:

    Karen said...

    Longtime reader, first time commenter. I know it's hard to ignore, but people who make snippy comments like the two you linked to are unhappy people, plain and simple. People who are content with their lives and their knowledge are happy to share what they know. I love sharing what I know when given the opportunity and see no need to be condescending because we all have different knowledge. Don't take it to heart; it's their issues alone.

    On the upside, I always learn new things from your blog, even when I already know about the properties you feature. Thanks!

    Jim said...

    For what it's worth, yours is one of my go to sites, I enjoy every minute of browsing through your work, and have marveled at your sense of wonder and discovery of parts of this city that I walk by every day without noticing.

    Truth be known, on several occasions I have linked posts of yours to my own blog, with full attribution of course.

    Keep up the great work.

    Ben said...

    I agree with commenter #1 and #2. Thanks very much for the time and effort you put into your posts, and I very much appreciate the different point of view you bring to Chicago architecture writing. (I can find stuff about Wright, Sullivan, and Mies anywhere...) Don't pay any attention to the haters.

    Carlene said...

    I agree, they seem like very unhappy people, maybe a little jealous? and I kind of feel sorry for them, but not too sorry. I'll bet if you bothered to do that three minutes of research you'd find their nasty little comments other blogs as well.

    Your blog is fantastic, and I love when I see there's a new post.

    Bronwen said...

    Well, in his defense, one of those complainers did state that he went to a school for boys with behavior problems and emotional difficulties, so perhaps he should be forgiven his behavior. ;)

    I love all of your posts. I live in a near-west suburb that is overflowing with mid century modern architecture and design. My interest was peaked when I moved into my 2-flat, which is a classic example, complete with a Greek lady statue in front and jagged wood address number plate. I'm in the process of slowly replacing my furnishings with pieces to match the outside. Your blog is a great inspiration.

    JawsOfJosh said...

    Nevermind the trolls. You've done a lot of hard work here by traveling all over the city to document and share these photos. Great job.

    Nick said...

    Just ignore 'em. I know it's difficult sometimes. I think you do a fabulous job, I love your blog. You are a good writer and an outstanding photographer and you have obvious affection for the cities and buildings you feature.
    PS For a religious Art Deco experience, check out Holy Trinity Catholic Church in Bloomington (http://www.holytrinitybloomington.org/) It has been called "one of the finest examples of religious Art Deco in America."

    Anonymous said...

    i'm a huge fan of this blog. my only complaint? that you don't write more!

    keep up the good work!